Wouldn’t it be nice to have a retreat to go to when life gets crazy? Someplace where you can just get away and catch your breath. Recharge.
You can make your own retreat whether you live in an apartment or in a house with a big yard and anything in-between. There are only 5 simple ingredients to creating your own space to get-away and re-energize when life is closing in on you.
- A room/porch/piece of yard to call your own – It doesn’t have to be a big space or one that is totally private. It just needs to be a space that you can decorate to fit you and it is understood by other members of your family and friends that when you are here, you are in “time out”. I actually have three spaces at my house. A room I call my “Reiki Room” that I can go to and meditate, do Reiki & crystal healings for clients, or get-away. This room I can use year-round and my family knows it’s my “man cave” so to speak. I also have a piece of my front porch that is my summer retreat. It’s only a small section of my porch but when I go there, I feel a big release of stress and tensions of the day. The third is in a small corner of my yard. None of the spaces are very big, but I know that they are my special places to go to and connect with my inner self.
- Comfortable chair or pillows – You definitely need somewhere comfortable to sit to allow you to kick back and relax. It can be a chair or a pile of big pillows. The chair doesn’t have to be a special meditation chair (although I’ve always wanted one); it just needs to be comfortable for you. In my Reiki Room I use pillows to sit on and for support, while on the porch I have a red plastic Adirondack that allows you to sink right back and chill.
- Water fountain – Water fountains can improve the air in your home with negative ions, purify the air, and the sound is so relaxing. If outside, it can drown out sounds of the neighborhood and let you feel like you are sitting beside a babbling brook.
- Wind chimes – Metal or wooden wind charms add a soothing and relaxing sounds to any area. Sound lowers stress, balance energy flow and reduce pain. Listen to chimes adds another distraction from the neighborhood noise and can put you into a trance to go within.
- Salt lamp – A salt lamp reverse the effects of all of our electronics we surround ourselves with everyday. Electronics infuse us with positive ions exacerbate problems like allergies, stress and sleep trouble. Negative ions produce by salt lamps can neutralize positive ions (they bond together) and help cleanse the air. Negative ions occur in nature and they are often created by things like lightning storms, sunlight, waterfalls, and ocean waves. That’s one of the reasons people often feel renewed or refreshed after a storm or at the beach. Bring this experience to your area by including a salt lamp. If you are interested in more information about salt lamps, click here.
Putting these five ingredients together in any area, creates an atmosphere of peace and tranquility.
Extra add-ons of crystals, pictures, music, or birdbaths/birdfeeders are icing on the cake.
Making your special area indoors or outdoors gives you a place to retreat and rejuvenate. A place where you can go to your inner self, discover your truth and regain your power.
Click here to go to my Facebook page and post of picture of your “special retreat”. If you don’t have one yet, describe what it would include.
In light and love,